Common Questions About Worker's Compensation: Answered

As an experienced law firm specializing in workers' compensation and personal injury representation, Montoya Law is committed to providing quality legal services to our clients in Orange County and beyond. We understand that navigating the legal system can be overwhelming, especially when dealing with a work-related injury. In this article, we will answer some of the most common questions about worker's compensation to help you understand your rights and options. If you are in need of legal representation for your worker’s compensation case, contact us today to get started with a free consultation.

M37918 - Montoya Law_Infographic - Common Questions About Workers Compensation (2) (1).png

What is worker's compensation, and who is eligible for it?

Worker's compensation is a system of insurance that provides benefits to employees who are injured on the job or suffer from work-related illnesses. Almost all employers in California are required to carry worker's compensation insurance, and most employees are eligible for benefits. This includes full-time, part-time, and temporary employees, as well as those who are undocumented or working under a work visa. It's important to note that independent contractors are not typically eligible for worker's compensation benefits.


What kind of injuries are covered by worker's compensation?

Injuries that are considered work-related are typically covered by worker's compensation. This includes injuries that occur suddenly, such as a fall or a broken bone, as well as injuries that develop over time, such as carpal tunnel syndrome or back pain. Work-related illnesses, such as lung disease caused by exposure to chemicals or repetitive stress injuries, are also covered. However, injuries that occur while an employee is under the influence of drugs or alcohol or intentionally caused by the employee are typically not covered.


What benefits are available under worker's compensation?

Worker's compensation provides a range of benefits to eligible employees, including medical treatment for work-related injuries or illnesses, temporary disability payments for time off work due to an injury, and permanent disability payments for long-term injuries or disabilities. Death benefits may also be available to eligible family members of an employee who dies as a result of a work-related injury or illness.


What should I do if I'm injured on the job?

If you're injured on the job, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. This is important for your health and well-being and also provides documentation of your injury. You should also report the injury to your employer as soon as possible. California law requires that you report the injury within 30 days, but it's best to report it as soon as possible to avoid any delays in receiving benefits. Your employer should provide you with a claim form, which you must fill out and submit to your employer's worker's compensation insurance carrier.


Do I need a lawyer for my worker's compensation case?

While you are not required to have a lawyer for your worker's compensation case, it's often a good idea to consult with a local attorney who specializes in worker's compensation law. An experienced personal injury lawyer in Orange County can help you navigate the legal system, ensure that you receive all the benefits to which you're entitled, and represent you in court if necessary. Many worker's compensation lawyers like us offer free consultations, so it's worth reaching out to a lawyer to discuss your case.

Navigating the worker's compensation system can be overwhelming, but it's important to understand your rights and options if you've been injured on the job. At Montoya Law, we are committed to helping injured workers in Orange County and beyond. Whether you're dealing with a sudden injury or a work-related illness that has developed over time, we can help you understand your options and fight for the benefits you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation with an experienced worker's compensation attorney.

Get Started Today!